Early Weaning as a Risk Factor for Deleterious Oral Habits in 3-5 Year-Old Children

Maria Helena Monteiro de Barros Miotto, Sâmia Souza Lima, Ludmilla Awad Barcellos, Denise Maria Kroeff de Souza Campos, Eliete Rodrigues de Almeida

Abstract


Objective: To verify the association between early weaning, sociodemographic variables and deleterious oral habits in 3-5 year-old Brazilian children. Material and Methods: Retrospective observational study with longitudinal design used a random sample of 150 children representing a population of 388 children enrolled in public schools of Domingos Martins, Brazil. Data collection was performed using a questionnaire aimed at parents / guardians. The dependent variable considered for analysis was the presence of habits - pacifier and finger sucking - and as explanatory variables: gender, age, early weaning and socioeconomic status. Early weaning was considered when exclusive breastfeeding was suspended before six months of age. Chi-square test was used to verify association among variables. Significance level adopted was 5%. To check the strength of association, Odds Ratio and 95% confidence intervals were used. Results: Significant association was found between variables age of 4 and 5 years (p = 0.030, OR = 2.193, CI = 1.029; 4.673) and early weaning (p = 0.001, OR = 5.045, CI = 2.087; 12.199) with pacifier sucking habit. Conclusion: Association between age, early weaning and pacifier sucking habits was observed. Early weaning can be considered a risk factor for pacifier sucking habit.


Keywords


Breast Feeding; Weaning; Habits; Pacifiers; Finger sucking.

Full Text:

PDF

References


Figueiredo MG, Sartorelli DS, Zan TAB, Garcia E, Silva LC, Carvalho FLP, et al. [Rapid assessment of current infant feeding practices in São José do Rio Preto, São Paulo, Brazil]. Cad Saúde Pública 2004; 20(1):172-9.

Toma TS, Rea MF. [Benefits of breastfeeding for maternal and child health: an essay on the scientific evidence]. Cad Saude Publica 2008; 24(sup 2):235-46.

Antunes LS, Antunes LAA, Corvino MPF, Maia LC. Amamentação natural como fonte de prevenção em saúde. Cienc Saude Colet 2008; 13(1)103-9.

World Health Organization. The optimal duration of exclusive breastfeeding. Note for the Press No 7. Geneva: WHO, 2001.

Pizzol KEDC, Boeck EM, Santos LFP, Lunardi N, Oliveira GJPL. Influência do ambiente familiar e da condição socioeconômica na introdução e manutenção de hábito de sucção não nutritiva. Rev Odontol UNESP 2011; 40(6):296-303.

Parada CMGL. Situação do aleitamento materno em população assistida pelo Programa de Saúde da Família. Rev Latino-am Enfermagem 2005; 13(3):407-14.

Furtado ANM, Vedovelho Filho M. [The outcomes of the breast-feeding period in the settlement of nonnutritive sucking habits and in the occurrence of malocclusion in primary dentition]. Rev Gaúcha Odontol 2007; 55(4):335-41.

Larsson EF. Sucking, chewing, and feeding habits and the development of crossbite: A longitudinal study of girls from birth to 3 years of age. Angle Orthod 2001; 71(2):116-9.

Zollner MSAC, Jorge AOC. Aleitamento materno: caminho natural para a saúde. J Bras Odontopediatr Odontol Bebê 2005; 8(42):135-2.

Pereira MJB, Reis MCG. Manual de procedimentos: Prevenção e tratamento das intercorrências mamárias na amamentação. Secretaria Municipal da Saúde. Núcleo de Aleitamento Materno da EERP, USP. São Paulo, 1998.

Ribeiro Jr HCR. A influência do aleitamento materno e dos hábitos de sucção não-nutritiva no desenvolvimento das más oclusões na dentição decídua: estudo tipo caso-controle. [Dissertação]. Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte; 2005.

Mercadante MMN. Hábitos em ortodontia. In: Vellini FF. Ortodontia - diagnóstico e planejamento clínico. 2. ed. São Paulo: Artes Médicas, 1998. p. 255-79.

Brasil. Critério de Classificação econômica do Brasil/2012. Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Pesquisa: ABEP. [Access on 9 April 2013]. Available at: .

Brasil. Ministério da Saúde. Secretaria de Atenção à Saúde. Aleitamento materno, distribuição de leites e fórmulas infantis em estabelecimentos de saúde e a legislação. Departamento de Ações Programáticas e Estratégicas. Departamento de Atenção Básica. Brasília: Ministério da Saúde, 2014.

Venâncio SI, Escuder MML, Kitoko P, Réa MF, Monteiro CA. Frequência e determinantes do aleitamento materno em municípios do Estado de São Paulo, SP. Rev Saúde Pública 2002; 36(3):313-8.

Moimaz SAS, Rocha NB, Garbin, AJI, Saliba O. [The effect of breastfeeding in the acquisition of non-nutritive sucking habits and malocclusion prevention]. Rev Odontol UNESP 2013; .42(1):1-10.

Pizzol KEDC, Montanha SS, Fazam ET, Boeck EM, Rastelli ANS. Prevalência dos hábitos de sucção não nutritiva e sua relação com a idade, gênero e tipo de aleitamento em pré-escolares da cidade de Araraquara. Rev CEFAC 2012; 14(3):506-15.

Kitoko PM, Réa MF, Venâncio SI, Cavalcanti AC, Vasconcelos P, Santos EKA, et al. [Breastfeeding in two Brazilian State capitals: a comparative analysis]. Cad Saúde Pública 2000; 16(4):1111-9.

Brunken GS, Silva SM, França GV, Escuder MM, Venâncio SI. Risk factors for early interruption of exclusive breastfeeding and late introduction of complementary foods among infants in midwestern Brazil. J Pediatr 2006; 82:445-51.

Escobar AM, Ogawa AR, Hiratsuka M, Kawashita MY, Teruya PY, Grisi S et al. Breast-feeding and socioeconomic cultural status: factors that lead to early weaning. Rev Bras Saude Mater Infant 2002; 2(3):253-61.

Bezerra VLVA, Nisiyama AL, Jorge AL, Cardoso RM, Silva EF, Tristão RM. Aleitamento materno exclusivo e fatores associados a sua interrupção precoce: estudo comparativo entre 1999 e 2008. Rev Paul Pediatr 2012; 30(2):173-79.

Caldeira AP, Goulart EM. Breastfeeding in Montes Claros, Minas Gerais: a representative sample study. J Pediatr 2000; 76:65-72.

Miotto MHMB, Caxias FP, Campos DMKS, Ferreira LFPE, Barcellos LA. [Breast feeding as a protection factor to avoid non-nutritive sucking habits]. Rev CEFAC 2014; 16(1):244-51.

Medeiros APM, Ferreira JTL, Felício CM. Correlação entre métodos de aleitamento, hábitos de sucção e comportamento orofaciais. Pró-Fono R Atual Cient 2009; 21(4):315-9.

Ártico MFM, Bastiani C, Jock MD, Kobayashi ET. Prevalência da mordida aberta anterior. Inic Cient Cesumar 2004; 6(1):12-5.

Bezerra PKM, Cavalcanti AL, Bezerra PM, Moura C. Maloclusões, tipos de aleitamento e hábitos bucais deletérios em pré-escolares: um estudo de associação. Pesqui Bras Odontoped Clin Integr 2005; 5(3):267-74.

Thomaz EBAF, Valença AMG. Prevalência de má-oclusão e fatores relacionados à sua ocorrência em pré-escolares da cidade de São Luís, MA, Brasil. RPG Rev Pos Grad 2005;12(2):212-21.

Faleiros FTV, Trezza EMC, Carandina L. Aleitamento materno: fatores de influência na sua decisão e duração. Rev Nutr 2006; 19(5):623-30.

Simioni LRG, Comiotto MS, Rêgo DM. Percepções maternas sobre a saúde bucal de bebês: Da informação à ação. RPG Rev Pós Grad 2005; 12(2):167-73..

Peres KG, Barros AJB, Peres MA, Victora CG. Effects of breastfeeding and sucking habits on malocclusion in a birth cohort study. Rev Saúde Pública 2007; 41(3):343-50.

Antunes LS, Teixeira EC, Gomes IF, Almeida MH, Mendes PP, Antunes LAA. Avaliação da relação causal entre a presença de hábitos bucais deletérios, tipo de aleitamento e maloclusões em crianças na dentadura decídua. Cienc Biol Saúde 2015; 17(2):75-80.

Lopes-Freire GM, Cárdenas AB, Deza JE, Ustrell-Torrent JM, Oliveira LB, Boj Quesada Jr JR. Exploring the association between feeding habits, non-nutritive sucking habits and malocclusions in the deciduous dentition. Prog Orthod 2015; 16:43. doi: 10.1186/s40510-015-0113-x.

Zapata M, Bachiega JC, Marangoni AF, Jeremias JEM, Ferrari RAM, Bussadori SK et al. Ocorrência de mordida aberta anterior e hábitos bucais deletérios em crianças de 4 a 6 anos. Rev CEFAC 2010; 12(2):267-71.

Lopes TS, Moura LF, Lima MC. Breastfeeding and sucking habits in children enrolled in a mother-child health program. BMC Res Notes 2014 14;7:362. doi: 10.1186/1756-0500-7-362.




PBOCI IS A MEMBER OF CROSSREF AND ALL THE CONTENT OF ITS JOURNALS ARE LINKED BY DOIS THROUGH CROSSREF.